About Our Parish

Our History


Sacred Heart Corpus Christi

    Previous to 1903, service in Spanish for the Hispanic community of Corpus Christi was conducted in St. Patrick’s Church, currently the Corpus Christi Cathedral, Fr. C. Jaillet and Fr. Juan Coma worked intensely with the Hispanic Community and in 1903 built a separate church.  The first church was under the title of Our Lady of Guadalupe because of the tremendous devotion of the people to Mother Mary, Queen of the Americas.

         In 1915, Bishop Nussbaum had a new church and school built on 12th St. for the increasing Hispanic population.  It was dedicated on September 12, 1915 under the title of St. Mary’s Church. In 1923 the building was moved to the corner of Comanche and Alameda, enlarged and rededicated as Sacred Heart of Mary.

     At this time, the old Blessed Sacrament school on last Street was closed.  The school children were consolidated in one school with four Incarnate Word Sisters in charge, and the old Blessed Sacrament school building was converted into a day nursery under the care of the Carmelite Sisters. By 1923 a new house had been built for the Incarnate Word Sisters at Sacred Heart of Mary School and by 1939 the enrollment was up to 233 Children.

     Initially a fresco of the Sacred Heart appeared over the main doorway as you entered the church, but being exposed to the weather this piece of work was eventually whited out.  The major fresco of the Sacred Heart is over the sanctuary.  The fresco shows the Sacred Heart of Jesus appearing to St. Margaret Mary, and in Spanish is the quotation “He aqui el Corazon que ha amado tanto a los hombres”(Behold his Heart which has so loved men). In one corner of the fresco is shown Fr. Elsing distributing Holy Communion to some of the parishioners. There are several other large and small frescos within the church.

     Two other large frescos appear on the side walls of the sanctuary. They portray a story about Our Lady of the Scapular. On the opposite side there is the third fresco, depicting a story about Our Lady of the Rosary.  There is also another beautiful Fresco of Our Lady of Guadalupe and on the other side The Holy Family.

     In the early 1950’s a Fatima Shrine was built in the parish yard called the Grotto where Catholic Charities now exists.

     From Sacred Heart Parish, Holy Family Mission was started on Nogales Street in 1943 and dedicated on March 19, 1946. In 1950 St. Joseph Church was completed on 19th Street. These two communities were divided into three separate parishes. In 1986 diocesan priests began serving Sacred Heart



We are also well known for our Frescos painted by Antonio Garcia.


We also have our Jesus Nazareno Chapel where people come and pray with devotion.

You can buy your candles at the Rectory Office during Business hours.


9 AM to 12 NOOn

1:30 PM to 4:30 PM

Friday: 9 AM to Noon.